Suji Upma recipe (Rava Upma)
Suji Upma is a popular and nutritious South Indian recipe. People make it in many ways. We have shared an easy method of making Upma recipe from semolina (Suji). In which potato, peas, and curry leaves are used. You can also make other vegetables together in it.
There are two types of semolina(Suji) in the market, coarse and small granular. Upma should always be made of semolina with coarse granular, It will be very nice and spread.
This snack is quick and very easy for children to like. In this, roast the Rava (suji) with some oil and add green vegetables and salt to it. It is then cooked by adding water. For the Suji Upma recipe, you can roast semolina in more quantity in a container.
Preparation time 08 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
Total time 23 minutes
Serve for 04 people
Difficulty level Easy
Cuisine South Indian recipes
Ingredients for Upma recipe
Semolina 150 grams
Onion 01 medium size (finely chopped)
Potato 01 medium size (finely chopped)
Edible oil 02 tbsp
Peanut 01 tbsp
Green chili 02 (finely chopped)
Green peas 02 tbsp (peeled)
Carrot 01 (cut into small pieces)
Butter/ ghee 01 tbsp
Curry leaves 12-15
Coriander leaves 01 tbsp (finely chopped)
Cashews 7-8 (optional)
Lime juice 02tsp
Salt as needed
- First, wash and chop the onions, potatoes, green chilies and peas and keep them aside in a plate. If you want to use capsicum, cabbage or other vegetables, wash and cut it too.
- Put ghee in a deep bottom pan and heat it.
- Add semolina to the hot ghee and stir it, stirring continuously until the semolina becomes light brown. After the semolina is roasted well, it gives a nice aroma.
- It takes about 4-5 minutes, then takes it out on a plate.
- Now add 2 tablespoons of edible oil to the pan and heat it. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. When frying a little, add chopped potatoes to it, after roasting a little, add onions and green chilies.
- You can add chopped carrots, green peas or other vegetables that you like.
- Add salt and stir for about 2-3 minutes. Now add roasted semolina and stir it.
- Add water after frying slightly and cook for about 2-3 minutes, keep it going with a skimmer, this will mix all the ingredients well.
- Now add lemon juice to it and mix well.
- When the mixture is thick after cooking, add chopped coriander and turn off the gas.
- Take your hot breakfast semolina upma (Suji Upma) is ready, feed it to your children and guests.
- The semolina (Rava) should be roasted on low heat, otherwise, the upma will become sticky.
- We have used onions, potatoes and peas, you can also use capsicum, cabbage, etc.
Semolina (Rava), Curry leaves, oil, Potato, and onion
South Indian recipes, Indian Cuisine, Breakfast, Upma, Suji, Indian cuisine